The rise of low-code development platforms has been nothing short of meteoric. For years, the promise of what these platforms could do for businesses and IT organizations was mostly hype. But in the past few years, we’ve seen a number of vendors emerge with offerings that are finally delivering on the promise of low-code.
In general, low-code platforms allow developers to build applications without having to write code from scratch. Instead, they can use pre-built components and modules that can be assembled together like building blocks to create an application. This approach can dramatically accelerate application development timelines while also reducing costs.
But despite all the hype, there’s still a lot of confusion around what low-code actually is and how it can be used. In this article, we’ll clear up some of that confusion and provide everything you need to know about low-code development in 2022.
What is low-code development?
Low-code development platforms are visual, drag-and-drop application development tools that require little or no coding to build simple applications. These platforms are often used to create prototypes or simple apps that don’t require a lot of custom code. However, some low-code platforms also offer more robust capabilities for building complex enterprise applications.
How is low-code different from no-code?
No-code platforms are even easier to use than low-code platforms and don’t require any coding whatsoever. With no-code platforms, you can typically create an application by dragging and dropping components on a canvas and connecting them together. No-code platforms are often used to build simple applications or automations with little code or no code at all.
What are the benefits of low-code development?
There are a number of benefits that businesses can realized by using low-code development platforms, including:
– Reduced time to market: Low-code platforms can dramatically reduce the amount of time it takes to develop and deploy an application. This is because low-code platforms automate many of the tasks that are typically done manually in the coding process, such as writing boilerplate code or setting up infrastructure.
– Reduced costs: Low-code platforms can also help businesses save money on application development costs. This is because low-code platforms make it possible to develop applications with a smaller team of developers or even with citizen developers who don’t have a lot of coding experience.
– Increased agility: Low-code platforms can help businesses respond quickly to changes in the market or their industry. This is because low-code platforms make it easy to modify and deploy applications quickly and with little effort.
What are the challenges of low-code development?
Despite the many benefits of low-code development, there are also some challenges that businesses need to be aware of, including:
– Lock-in: One of the biggest challenges with low-code platforms is vendor lock-in. This is because most low-code platforms are proprietary and require you to use the vendor’s tools and services to develop and deploy your applications. This can make it difficult and expensive to switch to a different platform if you’re not satisfied with the vendor’s offering.
– Limited functionality: Another challenge with low-code platforms is that they can be limited in terms of the type of applications that they can build. This is because low-code platforms typically don’t offer as much flexibility as traditional coding languages when it comes to customizing applications.
– Security risks: Low-code platforms can also pose security risks because they often allow applications to be deployed without going through a rigorous security review process. This means that there’s a greater chance for errors and vulnerabilities in low-code applications, which could be exploited by cyber criminals.
What’s the future of low-code development?
The low-code development market is expected to grow from $13.8 billion in 2020 to $71.6 billion by 2025, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 40.4%, according to a report by MarketsandMarkets. This growth is being driven by the need for businesses to develop applications quickly and efficiently in order to stay competitive. Low-code platforms are also becoming more sophisticated, with many vendors now offering artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning capabilities. This means that the future of low-code development is looking very bright and there’s no doubt that we’ll see even more amazing applications being built with these platforms in the years to come.
Cyberium Low Code Development Platform
is a powerful, easy to use platform that enables you to develop sophisticated applications with little or no code. Cyberium offers a wide range of features and capabilities that make it perfect for businesses of all sizes. With Cyberium, you can quickly and easily develop custom applications without the need for expensive coding resources. Cyberium is also very flexible, so you can easily modify and deploy applications as your business needs change. Contact us today to learn more about how Cyberium can help your business succeed.